Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer
Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8833 S. Redwood Rd. Suite C, West Jordan, UT

How To Change Your Alimony

How To Change Your Alimony

If your financial situation has changed since your divorce was finalized and you can no longer make the same financial contributions as earlier, you may need to modify the terms of your alimony agreement. It is possible for alimony amounts to be changed, although it may require substantial evidence in support of your claim.

Changing alimony payments

In addition to listing the amount and due date of alimony payments, your divorce agreement may also specify under what circumstances you are able to change the amount of financial support provided to your spouse. First, review your settlement agreement with your attorney and decipher if you have the grounds to file for the change. Typically, agreements allow for alimony modifications to be made if the contributing spouse is unemployed, seriously ill or critically injured.

In certain cases, agreements may specify that alimony payments cannot be altered for any reason. Conversely, if no terms related to changing alimony status are mentioned in your agreement, you may petition to modify your payment amount at any time.

Proof or Evidence

To alter the alimony payments, you must file a request with the court. Following, you will be required to present concrete proof that circumstances have changed since the finalization of your divorce. It must also be made clear that the situational changes have rendered you unable to maintain the same amount of alimony payment, or that your spouse is unfit to receive such support.

The judge or court commissioner must then be shown proof that your financial situation has changed, or that your spouse has an increased household income due to remarriage or a raise at work. After you present your case, a judge may order you and your former partner to produce certain financial documents related to your claims. If the judge decides that circumstances have changed enough to warrant a modification, the alimony amount will be altered.

Divorce Over Political Disagreements

A study from Wakefield Research indicates that there has been a stark increase in the number of couples — both married and unmarried — breaking up due to intense political disagreements.

According to the study, one in 10 couples that broke up did so because of differences in political opinions, with Millennials (people born between 1982 and 2000) being the most likely to split over politics — at 22 percent. These breakups have become particularly common during and after last year’s contentious election season.

The survey included 1,000 participants nationwide and was conducted between April 12 and April 18. It also revealed that 22 percent of Americans know a couple whose relationship “has been negatively impacted significantly due to President [Donald] Trump’s election.” Additionally, 24 percent of Americans who are in a relationship or married say that since the election, they have disagreed with or argued with their partner about politics more than ever before.

Even divorce attorneys have been able to back up these findings with their own experiences, often reporting that more couples have been filing for divorce because of political differences.

There are many reasons a couple may choose to separate or get divorced, from infidelity to financial problems. Money issues are a common source of conflict for married couples, although this survey indicates that many Americans have had more disagreements over politics since the November election than money.

Free Consultation with Divorce Lawyer in Utah

If you have a question about divorce law or if you need to modify your alimony payments in a divorce case in Utah call Ascent Law at (801) 676-5506. We will help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506