Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Taxes on Spousal Support

Taxes on Spousal Support

Married couples who are getting ready to break up often have an assortment of uncertainties, from wondering how child support is calculated to custody matters, spousal support and other family law issues. We know how stressful divorce can be for people in Salt Lake City, and throughout all of Utah’s communities. Moreover, divorce can lead to additional responsibilities down the road, such as those involving taxes.


According to the Internal Revenue Service’s site, you are required to pay taxes on spousal support that you have received. Also known as alimony, spousal support must be reported as income when you file your tax return. It is also important to understand that spousal support payments can be deducted by those who made them. In fact, taxpayers can deduct alimony payments they have made regardless of whether their deductions are itemized.

When working through divorce matters, it is vital for both parties to strive for a positive outcome. In some cases, couples are able to turn to a divorce mediator for a smoother experience. From spousal support to child support and the division of marital property, there are a number of topics that married couples may have to discuss and it is important for you to have a comprehensive understanding of your different options.

If you are struggling with any of the legal matters that married couples may encounter when going through divorce, it is important to understand that this piece does not serve as a substitute for legal recommendations.


According to the United States Department of Justice, child support enforcement issues are typically handled by local and state authorities. Although there are instances when federal authorities take action, it is usually best to report child support enforcement matters to law enforcement officials at the state and local level. As a result, it is fundamental for people in Salt Lake City who are dealing with issues related to child support enforcement to understand how these cases are handled in Utah.

On the website of the Office of Recovery Services, helpful information was published for parents who are looking into child support enforcement. The ORS provides various services, such as gathering information on non-custodial parents (address, assets and income), establishing paternity for children of unmarried parents and enforcing child support orders. There are a number of ways the ORS enforces child support orders, including withholding the income of non-custodial parents, levying their bank accounts, imposing liens on their property and reporting their back child support to credit bureaus, among others.

While the ORS offers useful services to custodial parents, they cannot guarantee that parents will receive the child support they are owed. Also, under Utah law, the ORS is only able to gather back child support for four years after the date that the last child in an order from Utah turns 18. For parents who are owed back child support, daily life is often challenging and some believe they will never receive the support they are owed. However, it is important for custodial parents to consider every option on the table and take advantage of the resources that are available.

Free Initial Consultation with Spousal Support Lawyer

If you need help with family law, call Ascent Law for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506
Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts

Paternity Lawyers in Utah

Get Repossessed Car Back in Bankruptcy

Child Support Lawyers