Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Who Gets Custody Of Child In Divorce Salt Lake

Who Gets Custody Of Child In Divorce Salt Lake

Who gets custody of a child in divorce Salt Lake City? This was asked once: My husband has left me and my son, who is 8 years old. I am working as a nurse and I need an attorney, so I had to go as mediator with the lawyer for the child. The mediator decided that I should have custody of the child because my husband was living with someone else and he has been abusing drugs.

I haven’t seen him since he left us 2 months ago, but the social worker told me that I will be receiving a letter from him wanting visitation rights. I want to know if he wants to see my son, what can I do about it? Can he even ask for visitation rights?

When a couple decides to get a divorce, one of the first things they must decide is who gets custody of their children. In Utah (as in most states), the best interests of the child are what matter most in determining custody.

The best interests of the child may not be obvious, however. For example, a parent may claim that it is better for the child to live with him or her because he or she is better able to provide financial support or educational opportunities. But if one parent can show that the other parent’s house is a more nurturing environment, then the judge might decide that it is in the best interests of the child to live with that parent. Or if one parent has a history of alcoholism or drug abuse, but has been sober for some time, then it might be in the best interests of the child to live with that parent rather than with someone who does not have that issue under control.

Who Gets Custody Of Child In Divorce Salt Lake

If you are getting a divorce in salt lake city, the first thing you have to decide is: who gets custody of the children. This is not as simple as it may sound. For example, if one parent has been abusive to the child, then the other parent might get custody even if he or she has no plans for child support or being involved in their life. That’s because children are treated as unable to choose which parent they want to live with. If a parent and a court thinks that it’s necessary, then they can make the decision for them.

Tension between parents can sometimes lead to a court deciding to give temporary custody to someone else, like an aunt or uncle. This helps keep the two parents from fighting in front of the kids, who could get confused and upset. But even if this happens, it doesn’t mean that this person will be able to keep permanent control over the kids. In most cases, the court gives temporary custody only until things calm down.

This doesn’t mean that your ex-spouse can’t take your kids on vacation for a week without telling you about it. Unless there are very special circumstances involved, every parent has both legal and moral rights that allow him or her to make decisions about their children without consulting

When parents divorce, who does the child live with? It’s a loaded question, of course. The word custody conjures up images of children being kidnapped in custody battles.

In Utah and nationwide, courts use a standard called “the best interest of the child.” Judges consider factors such as the age of the child and each parent’s ability to provide financially. They also consider which parent is more likely to foster a relationship between the child and the other parent. Custody issues are often contentious, but they don’t have to be, if you follow the advice of attorneys working on family law issues in Salt Lake County.

Free Initial Consultation with Lawyer

It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. Legal problems come to everyone. Whether it’s your son who gets in a car wreck, your uncle who loses his job and needs to file for bankruptcy, your sister’s brother who’s getting divorced, or a grandparent that passes away without a will -all of us have legal issues and questions that arise. So when you have a law question, call Ascent Law for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you!

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506

Recent Posts

How Much Alimony Can I Expect To Pay?

If I Put My Child Up For Adoption Can I Change My Mind Later?

How To Pay Off High Interest Credit Card Debt

Bankruptcy And Foreclosure

Estate Planning Lawyer

Power of Attorney Inheritance and Name Change

Ascent Law St. George Utah Office

Ascent Law Ogden Utah Office