Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Joint Parenting

Joint Parenting

It takes more money to establish separate households and the children may benefit from the separate households. Almost 90% of our client’s make agreements concerning joint shared parenting that do not result in “full boat” child support of one parent to another. However, the law is clear in this subject and negotiations are based on what is best for the children at any given point.

When it comes to child custody, we are seeing more and more cases with joint parenting and a form or fashion of joint custody. When you were married, you and your spouse likely shared in many childrearing decisions. Divorce complicates this parental arrangement. Parents are unlikely to discuss their children’s faltering grades or brilliant oboe performances over a leisurely family dinner or a Sunday drive to the hardware store. In fact, ex-spouses may prefer as little contact as possible. Courts know this and so typically grant the authority to make parental decisions to one parent. The parent with legal custody has the right to decide such major issues as education, medical care and religious upbringing. Typically, the parent with residential — or physical — custody also has legal custody. As an alternative, parents who are able to cooperate and communicate may consider continuing to share in the decision-making process in a joint custody arrangement.

A shared custody arrangement gives your children the opportunity to develop close relationships with both parents, while you and the other parent are able to remain more actively involved in the day-to-day events in your children’s lives. The arrangement works well for parents who share the same belief systems and ideas about raising children, as well as flexible schedules to accommodate the alternating weekly physical custody arrangement.

The joint custody arrangement doesn’t always work, or it might have worked for a while, but then a change in circumstance or belief can make it impractical to maintain. Your ex-spouse might adopt a philosophy about which you disagree, for example. Perhaps you decide to relocate. You might change your position on how to treat your child’s illness or whether to vaccinate against disease. When the joint custody arrangement sours, it is time to seek sole custody.

Free Consultation with a Child Custody Lawyer

If you have a question about child custody question or if you need help with a parenting plan, please call Ascent Law at (801) 676-5506. We will help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States
Telephone: (801) 676-5506

Ascent Law St. George Utah Office

Ascent Law Ogden Utah Office