Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer
Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8833 S Redwood Rd # A, West Jordan, UT

Parental Alienation Lawyer

Parental Alienation Law

Divorced parents may worry that their former spouses speak badly about them to their children, but when do a few negative comments cross the line and become psychologically damaging to a child and destroy the parent-child relationship?

We’ve written about Parental Alienation Syndrome, or PAS, here. It occurs when a parent actively tries to distort a child’s perception of the other parent so that they will withdraw and avoid them. The long-lasting effects of such alienation can hurt both the child and the parent. Psychologists recommend that parents be on the lookout for the following warning signs that may indicate that one parent is attempting to alienate the child.

Providing too much information about the marriage or reasons for divorce. Assigning blame to the other parent for financial trouble or for splitting apart the family, Pretending the child has a choice about visitation even though it has already been determined by the court, Asking the child to spy on the other parent, Wanting to change a child’s name or have a stepparent adopt. Acting hurt of jealous when child enjoys their relationship with other parent. Encouraging the child to remain angry at the other parent.Arranging special words or symbols intended to exclude the other parent

Children who appear angry with a parent without a clear reason, or express that they have no happy memories of that parent, may have fallen victim to an attempt to alienate them from the parent in question. Why there are many reasons why a parent would attempt this behavior, it is often indicative of anger or other unresolved personal issues. But whatever the reason, the impact on the relationship can be difficult to overcome.

Paying a Child’s Tuition After Divorce

If you’re going through a divorce and have children who are either attending or preparing to enter college, you might wonder how you will handle tuition and other college-related expenses in your post-divorce life. The following are answers to a few of the most common questions we receive on this issue:

Are divorced parents obligated to pay for their child’s college education?

Child support payments stop at the age of emancipation, which is 18 years old. This means there is no obligation for divorced parents to pay for their child’s college education. In fact, no parents — married or divorced — have to pay for their child’s education at all.

Can financial support for college costs be included in a divorce settlement?

Yes. In fact, this is the best way to get the financial support you need for paying college-related costs if you get divorced. You may then put these funds into an escrow or trust account to ensure their availability when needed or simply get a lump sum payment upfront.

If I make a college support agreement, what should it cover?

A college support agreement will include the percentage of expenses each parent will be responsible for, any limits on these payments, restrictions or conditions about the college (or type of college) the child would attend, which specific expenses will be covered and any other financial considerations. These details will typically require a lot of individual negotiations.

Does custody play a role in responsibility for college expenses?

If there is split custody, the calculations will become a bit more complicated. In general, the courts wish to create arrangements that avoid one parent being unfairly burdened with college costs. A judge may consider factors such as each parent’s income, tuition expenses, childcare costs and any scholarships the child earned.

Parental Alienation Lawyer Free Consultation

When you need legal help in a parental alienation divorce case, please call Ascent Law at (801) 676-5506 for your free consultation. We will help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506