Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Sanpete County Utah

Sanpete County Utah

In the 29 July 2009 Sanpete Messenger, the idea was suggested that Sanpete came from a nickname, San Pedro, given to a Native American by the Spanish. That story, we now know, is based only on someone’s imagination. The actual meaning of Sanpete is “bulrush” or “tule.” The “San Pedro” nickname story is false and was fabricated by a person who was behind bars while spinning major portions of book after book out of his imagination. This nickname story was picked up by a researcher of Native Americans and put on his website, which was then quoted by the Sanpete Messenger. Thus, “permanent settlements were made possible in large part by exploiting productive marshlands.” Evidence indicates that Native Americans in Sevier County seemed to have used corn and cattails as food sources.

We know, however, based on investigations of early sites in nearby areas that Native Americans were also able to remain in this valley by taking advantage of one of the major resources available in the large marsh in Sanpete Valley. The Sanpete County Courthouse, at 160 N. Main St. in Manti, Utah, was built in 1935. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. It was built of oolite limestone in PWA Moderne style. It has a two-story central block with vertical window panels and two two-story wings with horizontal window panels. It was asserted to be “one of the best examples of the distinctive PWA Moderne architectural style in Utah.” Sanpete County is within the Utah Sixth Judicial District. The people of Sanpete County are served by a District Court, a Juvenile Court, and a Justice Court. The United States District Court for the District of Utah has jurisdiction in Sanpete County. Appeals from the District of Utah go to the United States Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit.

Sanpete County is in center of Utah. Mountains separate the county from Interstate-15, the state’s major North/South highway, which has distanced the county from major developments over the years. While early Freemont Indians and later the San Pitch Indians populated the area in peace, things changed in 1849 when Ute Chief Wakara invited the Mormon settlers to live in the Sanpete basin. In 1853 and 1854 Chief Wakara changed his mind about having the settlers in his area causing many of the settlers to move into neighboring forts for protection during the Walker War with Wakara’s people. The Black Hawk war of 1865-68 brought more conflicts between the Native Americans and the Mormon settlers. Many of the Scandinavian immigrants were sent to Sanpete County. They built their homes similar to those found in Europe and set up small communities within specific language backgrounds like Spring City that became known as little Denmark.

Today, the Moroni Feed Company makes Sanpete County one of the top ten turkey-producing counties in the nation and probably helped provide your last turkey dinner. The Scandinavian influence is still felt each year in the county’s many festivals celebrating their European heritage. In addition to the festivals, Spring City Historic district has many Scandinavian homes that are on the state and national historic registers. The LDS temple, in Manti, can be seen from miles around. In June each year the annual Mormon Miracle Pageant, held on the side of temple hill, brings in over 100,000 visitors (almost 5 times the population of the whole county). The county has many areas for recreation such as fishing and hiking along with areas for off-road vehicles and snowmobiles. Palisade State Park which has camping, a golf course, and a reservoir, also helps provide water for neighboring areas. Also in the area is Snow College, a two-year state college, which brings many students from the neighboring cities to Ephraim.

Adjacent counties
• Utah County (north)
• Carbon County (northeast)
• Emery County (east)
• Sevier County (south)
• Millard County (southwest)
• Juab County (northwest)
National protected areas
• Fish lake National Forest (part)
• Manti-La Sal National Forest (part)
• Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest (part)
Sanpete County UT Cities, Towns, & Neighborhoods
• Centerfield
• Ephraim
• Fairview
• Fayette
• Fountain Green
• Gunnison
• Manti
• Mayfield
• Moroni
• Mount Pleasant
• Spring City
• Sterling
• Wales
Populated places
• Axtell
• Beaver Dams Summer Homes Area
• Chester
• Christianburg
• Freedom
• Hill Top
• Indianola
• Jerusalem
• Manti Canyon Summer Homes
• Milburn
• Oak Creek
• Pigeon Hollow Junction
• Spearmint
• West Ephraim

You can keep yourself abreast of latest crime developments by doing an arrest warrant search in Sanpete County. The police as well as the judiciary in UT do a fabulous job of disseminating information pertaining to criminal acts among prospective employers and the public. In fact, the most wanted list put up on the walls of the local police station is meant to serve this very purpose while increasing police vigilance against offenders on the loose. At this point, you can only find details on case records through the civil court dockets database maintained by the office of the clerk of court. This simply means that arrest records and information on outstanding warrants from Sanpete County will be off limits to you if you are in need of crime history data.

Another way is to approach the police, the county clerk or the magistrate. However, these options are only open to a certain class of employers and representatives of law enforcement agencies. Of course, you could get a personal background report from these sources. For this, go to:
• The office of the sheriff: 160 N Main St, Manti, Utah 84642
• The court of the magistrate: 160 N Main St, Manti, UT 84642
• The department of the county clerk: 160 North Main Street, Manti, Utah 84642

Sanpete County, Utah has one of the lowest crime rates in the state with less than one criminal case being brought to the police every day. Over the years, the annual crime average has stood within the 200 to 250 cases range.

However, these figures may undergo a change given the over 20% increase in the rates of violent crime through the last few years. Hooper City does not require a building permit for any detached storage shed or similar structure that is 200 sq. ft. or smaller. However, these sheds do require a site plan approval showing that all setback requirements are being met. Buildings larger than 200 sq. ft. do require a building permit. Dating back to Utah Territorial days, Utah has been a fence-in state. This means those who own or care for livestock have the primary responsibility to ensure livestock does not trespass onto another’s property. Fence-out, on the other hand, largely pertains to open range lands. In recent decades, most counties have adopted a county ordinance that supports local and county interests such as agriculture needs, historic practices, growth patterns and trends. Not all counties have adopted the same ordinance. As such, it’s important for ranchers and neighbors to understand that fencing ordinances may be different across county lines. I have found contacting the county Sheriff’s office is the quickest and more reliable source to determine whether a county is “fence-in” or “fence-out” or both.

There are several counties that have both. If a county chooses not to adopt an ordinance setting its policy, then the State law is used. As stated earlier, the State policy operates on a “fence-in” philosophy. If you own livestock, fence them in. However, there are two exceptions. First, if animals are on open range, and second, if your county has elected to pass an ordinance different than state law on fencing in your livestock. If your animals wander on to someone else’s land you may not be responsible. If you drove them onto someone else’s land, you may be. The courts tend to look at the facts of individual cases to determine responsibility, rather than based on the policy expressed in the county ordinance. Furthermore, the courts will look at whether what happened is an intentional and negligent act. Even if the ordinance is fence out, you are responsible for keeping your animals off someone else’s property. The proper care of livestock and respect of neighbors property and rights requires sound judgment, forward thinking and common sense. Each landowner scenario seems unique and different. Many interpret the laws and ordinances differently. With these realities, it’s good to visit with your county Sherriff’s office to ensure your understanding of county ordinances is consistent with the Sherriff, his deputy’s and staff.

A Building Permit is REQUIRED for the following:
• Converting any unfinished space in a dwelling to livable finished space.
• Addition or modification of any plumbing water or gas line.
• Any electrical work other than replacement of existing light fixtures, switches, and outlets.
• Replacement or modification of Heating and Air Conditioning System including equipment and ductwork.
• Modifying any existing structural framing
• Addition to an existing structure including living space, patio cover, deck, etc.
• Construction of any detached accessory building larger than 200 square feet or over 1 story in height regardless of construction type. (Structures less than 200 square feet require site plan approval) All structures less than 200 sq ft are required to have “site plan” approval.
• Replacing a roof covering. (Required where the existing roof has 2 or more layers of any type of roof covering)

Huntsville City Storage Shed Building Permit Requirements:
Huntsville does not require a building permit for any detached sheds or accessory structures that are 200 sq. ft. or smaller. However they may need planning commission approval to ensure that you are meeting the correct setback requirements. All buildings larger than 200 sq. ft. will require a building permit.


Accessory buildings – not attached to your house – do not require a permit if they are under
200 sq. ft. However, they may need planning commission approval. This is to ensure that you
have the correct setbacks. If you place your accessory building closer than 5 ft to the property
Line, a firewall is required and then a permit will be required. The North Ogden Building Dept. web page does not specifically state what sizes of sheds require a building permit; however, it does state that they have adopted the International Building Code which states that any buildings 200 sq. ft. and smaller do not require a building permit. Some cities will require a permit to ensure that all setback and zoning regulations are being met but we have not been able to verify exactly what North Ogden’s requirements are.

Sanpete County Utah Court Directory

The Utah trial court system consists of District Courts, Juvenile Courts, and Justice Courts. Below is a directory of court locations in Sanpete County. Links for online court records and other free court resources are provided for each court, where available.

District Courts in Sanpete County
• 6th District Court – Sanpete County
Sanpete County Courthouse
160 North Main, PO Box 219, Manti, UT 84642
Phone: 435-835-2121
Fax: 435-835-2134
Juvenile Courts in Sanpete County
• 6th District Juvenile Court – Sanpete County
Sanpete County Courthouse
160 North Main, PO Box 219, Manti, UT 84642
Phone: 435-835-2121
Justice Courts in Sanpete County
• Ephraim City Justice Court
5 South Main Street, Ephraim, UT 84627
Phone: 435-283-4631
Fax: 435-283-4867
• Fairview Justice Court
165 North State Street, PO Box 97, Fairview, UT 84629
Phone: 435-427-3858
Fax: 435-427-3275
• Fountain Green Justice Court
260 West 100 North, PO Box 97, Fountain Green, UT 84632
Phone: 435-445-3453
Fax: 435-445-3375
• Gunnison City Justice Court
Gunnison City Hall
38 West Center Street, PO Box 790, Gunnison, UT 84634
Phone: 435-528-5494
Fax: 435-528-7958
• Manti City Justice Court
50 South Main Street, Manti, UT 84642
Phone: 435-835-4631
Fax: 435-835-2632
• Moroni Justice Court
80 South 200 West, PO Box 79, Moroni, UT 84646
Phone: 435-436-8359 ext. 3
Fax: 435-436-8178
• Mount Pleasant Justice Court
115 West Main Street, Mount Pleasant, UT 84647
Phone: 435-462-2546
Fax: 435-462-3199
• Sanpete County Justice Court
160 North Main, Suite 301, Manti, UT 84642
Phone: 435-835-2103
Fax: 435-835-2106
• Spring City Justice Court
150 East Center Street, PO Box 189, Spring City, UT 84662
Phone: 435-462-2244
Fax: 435-462-2654
Sanpete Website:

Free Initial Consultation with Lawyer

It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. Legal problems come to everyone. Whether it’s your son who gets in a car wreck, your uncle who loses his job and needs to file for bankruptcy, your sister’s brother who’s getting divorced, or a grandparent that passes away without a will -all of us have legal issues and questions that arise. So when you have a law question, call Ascent Law for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you!

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506
Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts

Piute County Utah

Kane County Utah

Daggett County Utah

Business Lawyers

Estate Planning Lawyer

Divorce Lawyer and Family Law Attorneys

Ascent Law St. George Utah Office

Ascent Law Ogden Utah Office