Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer
Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8833 S Redwood Rd # A, West Jordan, UT

Tax Deadlines and Extensions

Tax Deadlines and Extensions

Knowing when to file taxes can help you avoid late fees or other penalties. The due date for filing your income tax return for the prior year is typically April 15 (or within a few days of that date, if it happens to fall on a weekend). Dates are slightly different for each year, but due dates for filing a return with or without an extension of time, do this – first, file before the deadline without an extension is April 15th of each year. Or, if you filed for an extension, you typically have until Oct. 15th of the same year in which to get your taxes filed.

If you use a fiscal year (a year ending on the last day of any month except December, or a 52-53-week year), your income tax return is due by the 15th day of the 4th month after the close of your fiscal year.
When the due date for doing any act for tax purposes–filing a return, paying taxes, etc.–falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business day.

Try to File Your Taxes on Time

Your paper return is filed on time if it is mailed in an envelope that is properly addressed, has enough postage, and is postmarked by the due date. If you send your return by registered mail, the date of the registration is the postmark date. The registration is evidence that the return was delivered. If you send a return by certified mail and have your receipt postmarked by a postal employee, the date on the receipt is the postmark date. The postmarked certified mail receipt is evidence that the return was delivered. So, we suggest that you file with certified or registered US Mail. If you want to talk to a tax attorney about why we do it this way, we’re happy to talk to you about it.

Don’t use a private delivery services. If you use a private delivery service designated by the IRS to send your return, the postmark date generally is the date the private delivery service records in its database or marks on the mailing label. The private delivery service can tell you how to get written proof of this date.

You Can Electronically File Your Tax Returns

If you use IRS e-file, your return is considered filed on time if the authorized electronic return transmitter postmarks the transmission by the due date. An authorized electronic return transmitter is a participant in the IRS e-file program that transmits electronic tax return information directly to the IRS.

The electronic postmark is a record of when the authorized electronic return transmitter received the transmission of your electronically filed return on its host system. The date and time in your time zone controls whether you’re electronically filed return is timely. Consider speaking with a tax attorney or accountant if you have additional questions about when to file taxes or which forms to use.

When You Need More Time, File For An Extention

If you can’t complete your tax returns by the deadline for filing have the option of filing a federal income tax extension with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The extension automatically gives taxpayers an additional 6 months to file their federal income tax returns. Taxpayers can file for an income tax extension without citing a reason or explanation. Filing an IRS tax extension is for time only-not for payment! Taxpayers owing money in taxes must pay at the time of filing their extension. Taxpayers who pay less than 90 percent of their total tax by the April deadline will have to pay interest plus a late payment penalty.

Tax extensions are available for individual tax payers as well as for corporations, partnerships, REMICs, and certain trusts. Extension due dates for businesses vary according to the way in which the business is organized.

Federal income tax extensions can be filed online (e-file) or by mail by completing File Form 4868. A separate extension must be filed for state taxes.

Though most states use the same filing deadlines as the IRS, taxpayers should check their state’s deadlines to find out the duration of the extension.

All federal income tax extensions must be filed by the April tax deadline. Taxpayers who know they will need an IRS tax extension are encouraged to file one as early as possible. When you complete your tax returns but you can’t pay the full amount of taxes owing, don’t file an extension. Instead, you should pay as much as you can and the IRS will send a bill of the balance due.

Free Consultation with a Utah Tax Attorney

If you are here, you probably have a tax law issue you need help with, call Ascent Law for your free tax law consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506