Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer
Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8833 S Redwood Rd # A, West Jordan, UT

What Happens To Separate Property At Death Of A Spouse?

What Happens To Separate Property At Death Of A Spouse

Wills give you the best power over dispersion of your property after death. Under Utah law, if no substantial will is available, your home will go as indicated by a lot of rigid standards, setting need on those firmly identified with you. In the event that no enduring relatives can be found, your property turns into the property of the state.

Will Nuts and bolts

Grown-up inhabitants of Utah may cause a will to discarding their bequest after death. The opportunity to control where your property goes is dependent upon specific restrictions on the off chance that you are hitched or have kids. Your life partner is qualified for 33% of the home just as a $15,000 residence remittance and $10,000 in furniture, decorations and belongings. On the off chance that you have no enduring companion, yet have enduring kids, they will be qualified for these advantages. The rest of your property will go as per your will, or as indicated by the state’s laws of intestate progression if no legitimate will is available.

Surviving Spouse

On the off chance that you kick the bucket without a substantial will in Utah, the law coordinates that your bequest be dispersed to your relatives regardless of the nature of your connections. In the event that you leave an enduring life partner, however no kids, or the youngsters are likewise the offspring of your mate, your life partner will be granted the whole domain. In the event that you leave an enduring companion and kids not of the enduring life partner, the life partner is qualified for $75,000 in addition to one-portion of the home.

Surviving Children

If you leave no surviving spouse, your surviving children will share equally in all of the estate in Utah. Likewise, if the children are not of the surviving spouse, they will share equally in one-half of the estate, minus the additional $75,000 award to the spouse. However, if some of your children are deceased but have living children, these grandchildren share equally in their parents’ share. For example, assume you have five children, each with three children of his own. If only four of your children survive you, each of the surviving children is entitled to one-fifth of the estate. The remaining one-fifth is then split equally among the children of your deceased child.

Alternative Takers

In Utah, if you leave no spouse and no descendants, your estate will pass to your parents. If you left no parents, your property will pass to any of your surviving siblings. If you have no surviving siblings, one-half of the estate will pass to your maternal grandparents or their descendants, and the other half will pass to your paternal grandparents or their descendants. If no living relatives can be found, the property escheats to the state to be placed in unclaimed funds.

Blood Relatives & Property

If you make a will, you can leave property to your blood relatives — your children, grandchildren, parents, siblings and other biological relatives — or you can exclude them from your will. If you die without leaving a will, a state probate court will divide your property between your spouse, if you are married, and some of your blood relatives. If you leave a will that is unclear, doesn’t follow your state’s requirements for a valid will, or contains odd provisions that suggest you are not mentally competent, your blood relatives can challenge the will.

State Inheritance Laws

Each state has its own complex laws regarding what constitutes a valid will and which of your blood relatives will inherit your property if you die without one. If you make a valid will, you can choose to disinherit any of your blood relations, including your children. Only Louisiana does not allow parents to disinherit a child. Although your spouse is not considered a blood relative, most states provide legal protections to spouses whereby you cannot disinherit your spouse so long as you are legally married.

No Will

Typically, if you die without leaving a will, known as dying intestate, the probate court will give your property to your surviving spouse, children or grandchildren, a process known as intestate succession. If you die without a spouse, children or grandchildren, your property may go to your parents or siblings. You may wish to consult your state’s laws to determine the exact blood relative intestate succession rights in your state.

Intestate Disadvantages

Dying without a will means blood relatives whom you dislike may inherit a substantial amount of your property, while your live-in companion, other blood relatives you are fond of and friends may receive nothing. In addition, if you die without a will, a probate court must appoint an administrator to review your estate and locate your heirs, a process that can create delays and expenses that drain your estate’s cash.

Blood Relatives Challenge

In one well-known example of blood relatives challenging a will, two grandchildren of Leona Helmsley, a deceased wealthy businesswoman, successfully attacked her will, which disinherited them while leaving millions of dollars to her dog. A judge decided that Helmsley was mentally unfit while drafting the will. Therefore, the court ordered that each disinherited grandchild receive $6 million and the dog’s share of Helmsley’s estate reduced to $2 million.

Utah Marital Property Laws

During marriage, couples acquire the rights to some of the property and assets, as well as debts, acquired by one or both of them. Marital property doesn’t include things that are considered “separate property”owned by either spouse, for example, property owned before marriage, inheritance, gifts, property specifically excluded by valid prenuptial agreements, and property gained after legally separating. In addition, keep in mind that you are also on the hook still for your separate debts from before marriage.

Who owns what property in a marriage, after divorce, or after a spouse’s death depends on whether the couple lives in a common law property state or a community property state. During marriage, these classifications may seem trivial — and typically aren’t a factor — but in the unfortunate events of divorce or death, these details become very important.
The following information will help you better understand who owns what with respect to marital property.

Marital Property and Common Law Property States

Most states are custom-based law property states. All in all, I don’t get it’s meaning to live in a customary law property state and who claims what after a separation? The expression “precedent-based law” is just a term used to decide the responsibility for (property gained during marriage). The precedent-based law framework gives that property procured by one individual from a wedded couple is possessed totally and exclusively by that individual.

Obviously, if the title or deed to a bit of property is placed in the names of the two life partners, notwithstanding, at that point that property would have a place with the two mates. In the event that the two life partners’ names are on the title, each possesses a one-half intrigue.
Model: If George purchases a vehicle and puts it just in his name, that vehicle has a place just with George. On the off chance that George purchases a vehicle and places it in both he and his better half Sway’s name, at that point the vehicle has a place with them two.

Property circulation upon death or detachment: When one life partner passes away, their different property is conveyed by their will, or as indicated by probate (without a will). The conveyance of the conjugal property relies upon how the companions share possession. On the off chance that they claim property in “joint occupancy with the privilege of survivorship” or “tenure by the aggregate,” the property goes to the enduring life partner. This privilege is free of what the expired mate’s will says.

Be that as it may, in the event that the property was claimed as “occupancy in like manner,” at that point the property can go to somebody other than the enduring life partner, per the perished mate’s will. Not all property has a title or deed. For this situation, by and large, whoever paid for the property or got it as a blessing claims it.

In the event that the couple separates or gets a lawful division, the court will choose how the conjugal property will be partitioned. Obviously, the couple can go into an understanding before the marriage, disclosing how to convey the conjugal property upon separation.

Separate property incorporates

Property claimed by only one companion before the marriage
Property given to only one life partner previously or during the marriage
Property acquired by only one life partner
Network property incorporates:
Cash either life partner earned during the marriage
Things purchased with cash either life partner earned during the marriage
Separate property that has turned out to be so blended with network property that it can’t be distinguished

Property dissemination upon death or partition: When one life partner passes away, their half of the network property goes to the enduring mate. Their different property can be contrived to whomever they wish as indicated by their will, or by means of probate without a will. Numerous people group property states offer an intrigue called “network property with the privilege of survivorship.”

Under this precept, if several holds title or deed to a bit of property, generally a home, at that point upon a life partner’s demise, title passes consequently to the enduring mate, maintaining a strategic distance from court procedures.

On the off chance that the couple separates or acquires a legitimate division, the majority of the network property is split equally (50/50). The different property of every mate is conveyed to the life partner who possesses it and isn’t split by the down the middle standard.
At times, monetary conditions warrant granting certain advantages entirely to one life partner, however every life partner still winds up with 50 percent of all network property as far as complete financial worth. This is most regular with respect to conjugal homes. Since it isn’t practical to isolate a house down the middle, regularly the court will grant one companion the house, and the other mate gets different resources that is worth is equivalent to a large portion of the estimation of the home.

Utah Martial Property Laws

During marriage, couples procure the rights to a portion of the property and resources, just as obligations, gained by either of them. Conjugal property does exclude things that are considered “separate property”owned by either life partner, for instance, property claimed before marriage, legacy, endowments, property explicitly rejected by legitimate prenuptial understandings, and property increased after lawfully isolating. What’s more, remember that you are likewise on the snare still for your different obligations from before marriage.

Equitable Distribution vs. Community Property

There are two ways states divide marital property: equitable distribution and community property. Utah is an equitable distribution or common law state, which is the majority marital property legal system. However, large numbers of people, especially in the Western U.S., live in community property states. This means marital property in Utah isn’t automatically assumed to be owned by both spouses and therefore should be divided equally in a divorce.

In Utah, marital property is divided “equitably” or fairly, which may not be an even 50-50. Usually for longer marriages, it is about 50% to each party. For short-term marriages, the court generally puts people back to their position before the marriage, such as giving people what they had before the marriage and typically what they made during the marriage. Parties can agree on how they want to divide the property outside of court, but a judge will review it to ensure it’s fair.

Disposition of Property and Division of Debts

Community Property Utah is an equitable distribution state that doesn’t have community property laws. However, Utah has enacted the Uniform Disposition of Community Property Rights at Death Act (UDCPRDA). The UCDPRDA allows a person who lived in a state with community property for its marital property laws (such as Nevada and Idaho) and then moved to a state without community property (namely, Utah) to not lose any pre-existing property rights.
Dower and Curtsey Like most states, Utah has abolished the old common law legal concepts of dower and curtsey rights.

Divorce and Property

Separation not just ends the legitimate association between two companions, yet can likewise necessitate that the property recently shared by the couple be partitioned. While property possessed by either life partner preceding the marriage can remain the property of the first proprietor, most things obtained after the wedding (network or conjugal property) and before detachment are frequently dependent upon division upon separation. This area incorporates assets to help those experiencing a separation decide how property ought to be partitioned, what happens to shared obligations, how to discover shrouded resources, what befalls the family home, the impact on protection strategies, and that’s only the tip of the iceberg. A conjugal property division agenda and an example property settlement understanding structure additionally are incorporated.
In case you’re separating, your property and obligations need should be isolated. It’s a smart thought to counsel with an accomplished Utah separate from attorney to talk about your privileges and alternatives, so you don’t incidentally forgo your privileges to conjugal property.
In the event that your life partner has as of late passed on and you need to comprehend your privileges to conjugal property as an enduring life partner, you ought to address a proficient Utah bequest organization legal advisor. Remember, state laws are changing constantly, so it’s essential to confirm these marital property laws by reaching a licensed attorney.

Probate Lawyer Free Consultation

When you need help with separate property after the death of a spouse, please call Ascent Law LLC for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
itemprop=”addressLocality”>West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506