Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Utah Divorce Code 30-3-7

Utah Divorce Code 30-3-7: When Decree Becomes Absolute.
(1) The decree of divorce becomes absolute:
(a) on the date it is signed by the court and entered by the clerk in the register of actions if both the parties who have a child or children have completed attendance at the mandatory course for divorcing parents as provided in Section 30-3-11.3 except if the court waives the requirement, on its own motion or on the motion of one of the parties, upon determination that course attendance and completion are not necessary, appropriate, feasible, or in the best interest of the parties;
(b) at the expiration of a period of time the court may specifically designate, unless an appeal or other proceedings for review are pending; or
(c) when the court, before the decree becomes absolute, for sufficient cause otherwise orders.
(2) The court, upon application or on its own motion for good cause shown, may waive, alter, or extend a designated period of time before the decree becomes absolute, but not to exceed six months from the signing and entry of the decree.
A decree absolute is the final order which concludes the divorce process. Your decree absolute certificate is the legal document you need to confirm that your marriage has officially ended, meaning you are free to marry again, if you wish. You should therefore keep your certificate of decree absolute in a safe place as you will be required to show an original copy of it, to prove your marital status if required. It is also a good idea to keep a record of your court number so that, in the event you misplace your original decree absolute document, you can apply to the court for another copy by quoting the court number.
How Long Does A Decree Absolute Take After Application?
You will need to wait a minimum of 43 days (six weeks and one day) after the issue of your decree nisi or conditional order before you can apply to the court for your decree absolute. It is important to note that applications sent too soon run the risk of being rejected by the court. Once your decree absolute application has been received by the court, your divorce will be finalized within approximately two to three weeks. This is the usual amount of time it takes to receive your decree absolute certificate, the final piece of paper you need to prove you are officially divorced and free to remarry. To apply for a decree absolute, you need to fill in a decree absolute form known as a notice of application for decree nisi to be made absolute, also known as a Form D36. This form will ask the court to make a decree nisi absolute or a conditional order, final. Before granting your decree absolute, the court will check that time limits have been met and that there are no other reasons not to grant the divorce. The court will then send both you and your former spouse a decree absolute, ending your marriage and giving you both the freedom to remarry, should either of you wish to do so.
What Happens If I Do Not Apply For The Decree Absolute?
If you don’t apply for the decree absolute, your spouse can. This will delay the divorce process your spouse will have to wait an extra 3 months to apply, in addition to the standard 43 days.
Applying For a Decree Absolute Out Of Time?
If you do not apply for your decree absolute within 12 months of the decree nisi, you will have to explain your reasons for the delay to the court.
What Happens If I Apply For A Decree Absolute Before The Final Financial Order?
A financial settlement does not necessarily have to be in place for you to apply for a decree absolute. However, if you have not yet reached a financial agreement in your divorce, then it is advisable not to apply for the decree absolute because your entitlement to certain assets of the marriage could be affected. For example, pension funds, trust funds or other complex assets cannot be transferred except to a spouse. Also, if you remarry you could lose some or all rights in respect to any subsequent attempt to claim from your former spouse. Another potential issue is that if one of you dies before a financial order has been made, the surviving spouse will lose out on any automatic spousal benefits that would have been paid. That is why it is a good idea to consider waiting, especially if you are planning to remarry, until the financial settlement has been finalized by what is known as a sealed order of the court. This also allows additional time for an appeal and a service of appeal to lapse which could take a further 28 days. Other financial issues that might arise could include the tax charges on the transfer of assets where exemptions exist between spouses. In these types of circumstances, it is prudent to consider delaying your application for your decree absolute and to remain married, waiting until all the finances have been settled and the consent order has been approved by the court before then applying for your decree absolute. The financial aspects of finalizing a divorce can be a potential minefield, so it is always a good idea to seek professional, legal advice before applying for your decree absolute. Things you now need to think about doing after your decree absolute is granted and you are officially divorced. Once you have received your decree absolute, it is official that you are now legally divorced. There are, however, still lots of practical things you need to think about doing to make your divorce final and to register your new status, going forward.
This includes:
• Changing your Will, especially if you have the intention of remarrying
• Applying for a new passport and driving license
• Informing your mortgage lender
• Closing any joint bank accounts
• Changing personal contact details for bank accounts, credit cards, utility bills and insurance policies
• Notifying HM Revenue & Customs
• Informing your children’s school.
Absolute Divorce
An absolute divorce actually ends the marriage. Once a decree of absolute divorce is entered, the parties are free to remarry. The decree of absolute divorce is a formal order issued by the court to end the divorce proceeding. After an absolute divorce, one party can no longer inherit property from the other. Any property owned by the parties jointly as husband and wife automatically becomes property held in common (each owns one-half). As part of an absolute divorce, a spouse may ask the court to allow the spouse to resume his or her former name.
Limited Divorce
A limited divorce is a legal action where a couple’s separation is supervised by the court. A limited divorce does not end the marriage. A limited divorce is generally used by people who:
• do not yet have grounds for absolute divorce;
• need financial relief; and
• are unable to settle their differences privately.
When the court orders a limited divorce, it means that the divorce is not permanent. Some people call this legal separation.
• Remarriage is not permitted.
• A limited divorce does not terminate property claims, although the limited divorce may settle these claims.
• A limited divorce documents the date of separation.
• A limited divorce can make temporary decisions about custody, child support, alimony, use and possession of property.
• The limited divorce may be permanent or for a limited time only.
• The court may revoke a limited divorce at any time the parties jointly apply to be discharged. In such cases, the parties would return to the state of being legally married.
• The court determines which party is at fault, if either, is at fault.
The limited divorce can resolve questions of:
• child custody;
• child support;
• health insurance coverage and
• division of personal and real property.
During a limited divorce, the parties live apart, but remain legally married. This means:
• Although the parties are still married, they cannot have sexual relations with each other without restarting the time requirements for getting an absolute divorce based on the ground of separation.
• Neither spouse may remarry.
• Sexual relations between either spouse and a third person during a limited divorce is considered adultery.
• If one spouse dies after a limited divorce, the other spouse may still inherit property.
• Unless the divorce decree says otherwise, the form of ownership for any property you own as husband and wife (for example, a house owned as tenants by the entireties) will stay

What Is A Clean Break Order In Divorce
The divorce process is stressful enough. Whilst getting a Decree Absolute legally ends a marriage, many do not realize that obtaining a divorce does not bring to an end the financial links between divorcing couples. The only way to ensure a former spouse can’t pursue a claim is to obtain an order from the Court which includes a clean break clause. This is often done within the context of agreeing the division of such assets as divorcing couples have at the time of their separation; but not always.
A clean break order allows you to break all financial ties with your spouse. Once a clean break order has been made, all potential future claims are dismissed so you cannot ask your former spouse for more money or assets. A clean break order can only be obtained once the Court has the power to deal with financial issues. This occurs during the divorce process itself and, more specifically, once the first stage Decree has been pronounced; Decree Nisi.
Why are clean break orders so important?
You may obtain a divorce but decide that you do not need a clean break order. This could be either because you and your spouse have reached an agreement about who should have what, or because you don’t have many financial resources; maybe you do not own a property, or you don’t have a pension.
What is the difference between decree nisi and decree absolute?
The decree nisi is a provisional decree of divorce pronounced when the court is satisfied that a person has met the legal and procedural requirements to obtain a divorce. Following the pronouncement of decree nisi, the marriage still exists and you are not yet ‘divorced’. The person seeking the divorce must then wait at least six weeks and one day after the pronouncement of the decree nisi before making their application for the decree absolute. This period can be reduced in certain exceptional circumstances. The decree absolute is the final decree which actually dissolves the marriage. Once this has been granted you are ‘divorced’. Sometimes people are advised to await the approval of a financial settlement before applying for their decree absolute. It will very much depend on their individual circumstances. The process for dissolving a civil partnership is virtual the same as obtaining a divorce but some of the terminology is different. Instead of pronouncing a decree nisi, the court grants a conditional order and rather than granting decree absolute, the court grants a final order. “Decree nisi” can be defined as a temporary divorce order. These temporary orders give the couple some time to resolve their issues or think clearly about whether they really want a divorce. After a period of six months, court grants “Decree absolute” which dissolves the marriage. If the couple falls back in love and want to be together again as husband and wife after the “Decree absolute” has been granted, the two would have to go through the process of getting married to each other again. If the two decide to live together without getting married again, they are not considered married by Law. Their relatives and friends may call them Mr. and Mrs., but under the Law, they are considered a cohabiting couple regardless of how long they had been together before the “Decree absolute” was granted.

Utah Divorce Code Lawyer

When you need legal help with Utah Divorce Code 30-3-7, please call Ascent Law LLC for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States
Telephone: (801) 676-5506
Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts

What Is A 3rd Degree Misdemeanor In Utah?

Utah Real Estate Code 57-1-10

What Is Consideration For A Contract?

Enforce Out Of State Divorces In Utah

Business Franchise Law

Loan Restructuring